Monday, November 7, 2011

Weather@Trinity

The weather in San Antonio is probably the most eccentric and wildly far flung of all the campuses I had applied to. In the summer, the temperatures end up well over a hundred degrees more often than not, and then they plummet to the sub fifties wirthout any warning starting late October or early November. This is of course accompanied by the most abrupt shortening of the day that I have ever experienced (seriously, one day, the sun doesn't set until about 7.30pm, and the next, it's dark before 5.45pm? I mean, even accounting for daylight saving time, it's just plain flat out baffling).

So obviously, we are talking about a very wide range of temperatures here, going from freezing cold (literally- but I'll get to that in a minute) to sweltering hot, with a lot of humidity and rain throwin in for good measure. The rather rapid fluctuations are highly exciting (albeit a bit taxing on the body), and it is generally advisable to keep one's winter clothing unpacked even in mid September.

Of course, though, San Antonio lies in the lower latitudes, and isn't elevated enough, so the one thing it couldn't experience would be snow. Lots of snow. That made me sad last year, when I got here. I love snow, and I would have loved a campus that was snowed in every winter. But I resigned myself to not getting snow, and decided to settle on the torrential rain we get here. Until it snowed.

Snow! In San Antonio! Who'd have thought?
(c) 2011 All Rights Reserved

Last February, it decided to snow in San Antonio for the first time in over a hundred years. It was less than a quarter inch, but it was definitely snow, and it had everyone rush out of their dorms at 3am, playing in the snow, making snow angels, and more (it also won me a bet I had with my roommate, but again, I deviate).

So, weather in San Antonio... we're talking about temperatures that make the city seem like the inside of a furnace to, literally, snow. We are talking about so much rain that the stairways all over campus literally become roaring waterfalls. We are talking about an absolute lack of transition from sweaty hot to shivering cold. We're talking about the length of the day, which changes so bafflingly that it's best to not even think about it. The weather here is like an adventure in itself, and it adds so much more to the day. Did it cause issues with my health? Yes it did, but I can live with that, as long as I can be in a city which has snowfall one February, and then has a massive drought declared just three months later.


(c)2011 All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment